You may have heard of using incognito mode to save money on hotel bookings and wondered if it’s really possible. The simple answer is, “Yes.” Hotel booking websites use your cookies to see how many times you check pricing on hotels to raise their prices each time you check. They do this so you will think the price is going up and that the rooms are being booked, so that you feel the urgency to book a room. In a way, this is punishing you for trying to get a good deal, but if you use incognito mode, the hotel booking websites will not know how many times you checked their site previously, so you can get the best rates.
You can easily see how this works by opening two windows for the same hotel booking website. Open one in your normal browsing mode and one in incognito mode. You should see that the window opened in incognito mode shows you better rates on hotel bookings than the one opened in your normal browsing mode. You can browse all of the different sites you are looking at hotel bookings for in incognito mode to find the best available rate possible and save a bunch of money.
What Does Incognito Mode Do
Incognito mode is an excellent tool for browsing in stealth mode to save money on hotel bookings and other travel purchases, such as airfare. It makes sure that all files you download and all webpages you open are not recorded in your downloaded and browsing histories. Also, all new cookies created are deleted after you close any incognito windows that you had opened. If you change or add any bookmarks or edit your general settings while you are in incognito mode, these changes will also be saved, so you don’t have to worry about losing this information.
Another alternative to using incognito mode to save on hotel bookings is to use the guest browsing feature that may be available in your web browser. If you choose to use the guest browser, you can download files and browse the web just as you normally would, and all of this information will be erased completely once you finish your browsing session.
How to Use Incognito Mode
- Click the menu button on your browser toolbar.
- Choose the option to open a new incognito window.
- A new incognito window will open with an incognito icon in the corner of it, so you will know which window is browsing in incognito mode. You can still use your other windows that are not marked with the incognito icon to browse as you normally would.
Tips and Hints
- In addition to these steps, you can also look up a keyboard shortcut to open incognito mode windows in your web browser.
- Using incognito mode to browse keeps your web browser from storing information from the websites you’ve visited using the incognito mode windows, but the websites you visited may store records from your visits.
- If you want to prevent your searches from being stored, you will need to pause your web history tracking for the duration of your incognito browsing.