Most people don’t know that even the shortest trips to Australia require a visa. When making plans on your trip to the Land Down Under, you should spare time to apply for the relevant visa and risk of ruining your trip. Thankfully, the process for requesting a visa for Australia is quite easy and can be done via websites like auvisa.org.
General Visa Requirements
The visa requirements will vary based on the type of visa you are applying for. Here are some general requirements you must meet in order to qualify for an Australian visa:
• You must not have a major criminal conviction in which you served more than 1 year in jail.
• You must be free of tuberculosis.
• If you intend to work in the country, you must be able to communicate sufficiently in English.
The Different Types of Visas
1. Temporary Work Visa. This visa is available to people who intend to work part-time in Australia. It allows a maximum stay of 3 months.
2. Tourist Visa. If you intend to go to Australia to visit friends or just to enjoy a holiday, you can apply for the tourist visa. This one is valid for a year, but you can only stay for 3 months at a time. With the tourist visa, you will not be allowed to work in the country, even part-time.
3. Business Visa. The business visa has similar requirements as the tourist visa, and the terms are also the same. This visa is ideal for people who intend to travel to Australia for business conferences. With this visa, you will not be allowed to sell goods or services in Australia.
4. Student Visa. You have to be accepted in an educational institution in Australia before you can apply for this visa.
5. Maritime Crew Visa. The MCV visa is available to people entering Australia by sea, and they have to be part of a sea crew. This kind of visa is very specific and can be requested as well on auvisa.org under the MCV visa section.
6. Work and Holiday Visa. This visa is only available to people who are between 18 and 30 years old. With this visa, you will be able to combine work, studies, and holiday in Australia. It is ideal for people who intend to supplement their holidays in Australia with some temporary work.
7. Long Stay Visa. If you want to extend your stay in Australia, you can apply for this visa. You should make your application for this visa if you are already in Australia on a visa that is about to expire. This visa will extend your stay for up to 12 months.
8. Second Working Holiday Visa. If you have previously received a working holiday visa, you can apply for the second working holiday visa. Individuals who are already working in Australia should apply for this visa before the first one expires.
Most Australian visas have to be obtained before you can enter the country. That means you have to sort out the visa long before your trip. You should consider applying for the visa in good time, for example soon after booking your flight, to make sure everything is in place before your departure.